Tuesday, April 22, 2014

How TO:esday: Getting back in shape

I admit it...I'm an interval runner.  And when I say interval runner, I don't mean I do run/walk intervals during workouts. I mean I run for weeks or months at a time and then stop working out for weeks/months at a time.  I'm either off or on.  This Pinterest picture is so me...

 

I have to start over Every.Single.Time.  Ugh!  So I decided to start over yesterday.  My interval this time?  9 months.  Embarrassing, but true.  I leashed up my dog, put on my running shorts, and turned on some Beyonce tunes. I had absolutely no expectations for this run, other than to run.  I am grateful that my goal was just to run.  

Some of you may be saying, why not do couch to 5k, or go for a 30 minute walk?  Well, I played soccer most of my life and into college, and running is all I know.  I will take my baby or dogs for a walk, but I don't think of that as a workout (my own personal issue!).  So, how far did I get?  1.25 miles!  I can think of my workout in two ways:

1.  Yuck!  Only 1.25?  I ran a full marathon 2.5 years ago, and I can only run 1.25 miles now?   Self Talk: Get it together, Mary Beth!

2. Awesome!  1.25 miles!  Self Talk: You haven't run in 9 months and have the most beautiful baby to show for your time off.  Give yourself a break, and be grateful you made it a mile.  This little sign is my reminder that whatever I do is better than sitting on the couch.
  

Here's to getting better Every.Single.Day with diet and exercise.  Oh, and losing this baby weight might be some motivation too! 

 Gotta run!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Proud of you, MB! I need to get myself together, too!