Monday, April 7, 2014

Mentor Monday: Teaching Resources for Teaching Poetry

Twitter!  I know, some of you are thinking, not another social media plug!  No, no.  I'm talking about Twitter because it's where I find a lot of my resources, personal professional development, and advice in my professional world.  To be honest, I don't use Twitter as a social media outlet, but as a professional media outlet.  The only things I post or retweet are related to professional development or current books I'm reading.

So to kick off my post about Teaching Resources for Teaching Poetry, it's only appropriate to share a great resource I've gathered from following ReadWriteThink on Twitter.  First, I love this website.  Second, they tweet great things throughout the day.  Third, they have a LOVELY poetry calendar to help with poetry!

This is the tweet I saw last week, and I instantly favorited the tweet so I could go back to it as a reference.



So, onto the calendar that they shared.  It has a different type of poem for each day.  Once you click on the day it pulls up resources for you!  Wahoo!  Why recreate the wheel when there are already resources for you?!  Click on the calendar below


Also, I have a resource that I originally created for a Poetry Club at my elementary school (can you believe students wanted to do a poetry club!?).  However, it is a great resource for any Poetry Unit taught in the classroom. It highlights 7 different poems and coordinating lesson ideas with mentor text ideas, classroom posters to help students remember them, as well as differentiated writing paper.  At the end, students create their very own Poetry Journal.



Alrighty, well happy poetry to all.  For those of you returning to school this week, make the best of every day!  Gotta run. 

Photobucket

No comments: