Monday, June 9, 2014

Diggin' Into Summer Linky: Math Workshop

Happy Monday!  Once again, I get to talk about one of my favorite things...MATH, and more specifically Math Workshop.




 ...do math workshop!  This past winter I led a professional development session on Guided Math/Math Workshop (They are not interchangeable, but I'll refer to this structure as Guided Math from here on out) for my district.  I'm going to share some of the things I shared with them.  First, a resource I use a lot to reference for tips and structures is Laney Sammons, Guided Math book.

Sammons' describes Guided Math:
Guided Math is a flexible instructional framework that enables teachers to promote the deep mathematical understanding and computational fluency of their students by determining their unique needs and prescriptively addressing those needs through a combination of whole group instruction, small group instruction, math workshop, and conferences within a classroom environment that promotes numeracy.

Okay, so I highlighted the two phrases that make Guided Math so remarkable.  First of all,  I think teachers focus a lot on the structure of their math block to make it more engaging for their students.  However, I think the biggest part comes down to students' "unique needs and prescriptively addressing those needs".  After all, the whole point in creating a rotation-type structure is to allow yourself to have small groups to teach.   So....you HAVE to differentiated and meet the specific needs of your students in each of your small groups.  If you teach the same lesson 3 or 4 times in a row to small groups, then you might as well teach it whole group and save yourself from being a broken record.  Get my drift?  The purpose is for differentiation!  So....here is the schedule I use in order to maximize the time with my small groups.  And...we're really fortunate to have 75 minutes for math built into each grade level's schedule.



I think the closing and reflection is HUGE!!  Students need an opportunity to reflect on what they have just learned and how it is applicable to a larger concept or the real world.  At the beginning of the year, this time might be spent reviewing and reflecting on procedures.  As the procedures become more routine, this time becomes more academic.  We really encourage our teachers to circle back to their learning targets or essential questions.  By setting this time aside, it allows for some meaningful time in discussion, reflection, or journaling.



Since I am no longer in the classroom, the changes I might put in place would revolve around the independent work students are doing.  This needs to be meaningful and relevant, NOT busy work. 






I have LOTS and LOTS of math related products, so I won't bore you with all of them, but here are a few of the highlights and most loved products for you to check out.





Alrighty, well I gotta run.  I can't wait to read about math from all of these great bloggers below!  Join in on the fun - and the learning with this great linky!

Photobucket

1 comment:

Deb Maxwell said...

I have been trying to incorporate more writing/journaling into my math time. How do you make this work for younger students?
Deb
Not very fancy