Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Shhh...I like running on a treadmill!...and the Currently

Confessions of a competitive-aholic on the treadmill:

Okay, so my husband and I have been trying to work out more regularly (and yes, you can say we joined the New Year's Resolution people, but I'm okay with that).  Many people get annoyed with the mass of people who show up at the gym on January 1 every year.  However, I like LOVE it.  I know...that's kind of a sick, but I really do like all of the people.  See, I'm really competitive when it comes to things like this.  Running is a personal thing, but I get a lot of my motivation from those around me.  The other day this little college chick with her sorority letters, matching shorts, wavy hair perfectly tossed up into a ponytail hopped onto the treadmill next to me.  Here are my thoughts as my time on the treadmill progresses.  I do not recommend this strategy to others, as it does not bring out the best, but thought I'd share!

Me: Yes!  She's going to walk/jog for a couple of miles and I will smoke her!

Perfect college girl: Begins her warm up and does high knees and butt kicks to get ready.

Me: Oh man, she looks like she's going to be serious, but there is no way she can look that cute and actually be a serious runner.

PCG: Begins a slow jog for a minute. (I know this because I was obsessively watching out of the corner of my eye every time she altered the numbers...creepy, I know!)

Me: Why am I worried about what she is doing?  I am trying to run more, and gain my running swag.  Seriously, MB, get your act together.

PCG: Increases her treadmill to the same pace I am running.

Me: Hmm...looks like I need to increase 0.5 mph. Yea, I probably need to push myself anyway, this is good for me. Thank you PCG for running next to me. 

PCG: Moves her feet to the side of the treadmill as it keeps going.

Me: She better not count that distance when she tells her friends how far she went today.  She didn't run that whole time.  MB, get a grip!  Who cares?

PCG: Turns her treadmill to 10 mph (a 6 minute mile) and begins to run for 30 seconds at 10 mph.

Me: Holy cow!  This girl is better than I gave her credit for!  What could she possibly be training for that would require her to do intervals at this speed?  

PCG: Lets the treadmill continue to run as she hops to the side to stretch her quads.

Me: Yep, I bet she's going to count that in her total too. 

PCG: Repeats six more intervals for 30 seconds.

Me: Okay, step it up MB.  Increase by 0.5 mph for another mile. Wow!  While I've been worried about  PCG I've actually run almost 2.5 miles!

PCG: Finishes her workout and leaves.

Me: Oh good!  I can run another half mile at a slower pace and she won't know that I cut back my speed.  Whew!  I am really tired. I finish 3 miles at a faster pace than I've done in a long time!  Thank you PCG for pushing me to run at speeds that I would have never done without you next to me.  Although you had no idea I was competing with you, I was.  Here's to another creepy treadmill run next to you in the near future!

And this is why I like running on a treadmill!  I like to see the numbers, how fast, how far, how many calories, and to find some competition.  To me, the New Year's rush is just an added bonus to my needed external motivation.

I wonder who my treadmill motivation will be tomorrow...

And my January Currently! Thanks Farley for another great layout!  You are so cray cray creative!

Photobucket

17 comments:

Tammy said...

This made me smile.
❀ Tammy
Forever in First

Jen R said...

haha! I'm totally the same way - even off the treadmil... I can't be the first to stop running - just KEEP running!! lol
Jen
The Teacher’s Cauldron

Kate @ EduKate and Inspire said...

You made my night with this post! I am very competitive, too! Unfortunately, I run on our treadmill in the basement, so there's not a whole lot of competition down there! I actually have a gym membership, but my gym not only has a million pretty college girls... it is a meat market! I swear that girls put on make-up and running heels just to come to the gym! I'll stick to the basement for now ;)

Kate
EduKate and Inspire

Unknown said...

Funny running story! :-)

I'm so glad I found your blog. I ran a half marathon last April and it'll be interesting to read your blog updates on your running.

Jessica
Second Grade Nest

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAH!!! Love that you just typed EXACTLY what I think when I am on the treadmill! :)

I'm a new follower and I'll be blogging about your blog tomorrow! :) Be sure to come check it out!
Marie
The Hands-On Teacher in First!

Mary said...

Good for you using competition as a motivator! I'm also loving the ability to dawdle in the morning! Have a great 2013!

Mary
Teaching Special Kids

Unknown said...

Newest follower! I like your OLW! I need to add that too! Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

Ha! I can so totally relate to this!! It's a good thing no one can hear what runner's think as we run!

Lisa said...

Funny!!!! I am a treadmill walker and I can't stand it when someone gets on beside me and can run--I just can't run (yet!!). I tried the look out of the corner of my eye thing, but I almost tripped! Heck, I can barely watch the tv attached to the treadmill without tripping!! Hhmm.....maybe I'm just a klutz!!!

Loved this post!!

Live Laugh and Love to Learn

Run Teacher Run! said...

Okay, I have to apologize for all of those typos! I think they are all fixed, but I was just rereading and that was bad!

Allie @ The Gypsy Teacher said...

I love your competitive-ness! You not only made me laugh, you gave me a bright side to the gym rush! I'm your newest follower!

Allie
The Gypsy Teacher

Unknown said...

I love your treadmill story. I love my break and not really ready to go back. Just found your blog through Currently and I'm your newest follower.

The Queen Bee said...

Hilarious!
We should hang out
~Natalie

Anonymous said...

Hilarious...I hate running on a treadmill at the gym because I'm always thinking that the Perfect College Girl next to me is watching me and judging me for my slow plod...Next time I'll think of this post and hopefully make it into a motivator, instead!

I'm a new follower :)

Kara
Spedventures

Kristin Young said...

I just died laughing because I do the SAME thing!! I seriously got super fit in high school because I was the new girl and my cheerleading teammates were so super mean to me so I decided to beat them...at everything. It continued to running. When I do run that is. ;) Good for you for getting it going! Thanks for the laugh!

I'm also hosting a linky party and I'd love for you to check it out. It's a little different than the standard link up...but totally worth it. ;)
Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten

Unknown said...

I'm a gym creeper too! I see guys with arms or chests that I want and I watch their exercises....then I do it. It's like stealing personal training! Purely motivational!

Did I read that you were in Indy? I'm a Hoosier boy myself!

I'm a fan of your blog already and a new follower!

Greg


Smedley's Smorgasboard of Kindergarten

The Craft of Teaching said...

I am so glad I'm not the only one who has those thoughts at the gym! That was hilarious.....thanks for sharing!

Nichole