Monday, January 2, 2012

One resolution this year...Organization!

In order to be organized, I needed to get some things in line to start the organization, so I headed into school on one of my days off.  I hate going in over break, but I always feel so much better when I do!

Over the last five years, I've accumulated lots and lots and lots of files.  When I started as a first year teacher, I was just excited to put something into a file, label it, and put it in my desk.  However, over time, I realized there was no method to my madness and I couldn't find anything I was looking for.  Therefore, the files were worthless!  Here were my steps in organizing the madness:

1.  I started by taking all of the files out of my two drawers and organized them into like groups.  For instance, I had created a file for each reading strategy so I put all of those into a Reading pile.

2. As I did this, I tossed a lot of things that I haven't used in the last couple of years.  This was so liberating!!  There were a few things like the Olympics that I knew I would want to go back to at some point.  Although most of my files are digital, there are just some things that you need to keep on paper.   I probably narrowed down to less than half of what I had originally.

3. Once they were organized into like piles, I then color coded them so that each pile was one color.  Math was red, social studies was green, writing was blue, etc.   There were some files that I repurposed since the colors were intermixed to begin with, so I just flipped the folder the other way and relabeled it.  (Hint: Don't write on them with Sharpie in case you need to flip them over later, the Sharpie ink will not have bled through)

4. After they were all organized, I added a couple of blank files of each color to the back of each group so that if I need another file later, it is convenient, easy, and fast to create.
After: Pure bliss!

Before: Ahh!  The madness!

No comments: